Non-surgical collagenesis and lifting
Absorbable PDO or polydioxanone thread has been in use for over 30 years in trauma, cardiothoracic and plastic surgeries. In recent years, PDO thread gained its popularity in the field of aesthetic medicine for its quick and immediate results by stimulating collagen renewal and lifting the skin. Within 4-6 months, the PDO thread is absorbed and typically last up to 12 months with formation of new collagen. PDO threads do not replace surgical face lift and right patient selection is a key factor for success.
At Ali’i Nani, we use smooth and barbed threads for optimal outcome. The smooth threads create a mesh under the skin which helps with collagen renewal. The barbed threads lift the skin in the direction they were inserted which produce immediate lift effect while allowing collagenensis when absorbed. The resulting effect includes softening of wrinkles, improving skin texture and overall face revitalization.
Where can you use threads? typically anywhere on the face, chin and neck. Cheek lift, brow lift, crow’s feet, tear trough, smoker’s line, marionette lines, chin, neck, lips, jawline, to name a few. It can also be used in certain areas of the body that need textural improvement.
Can you combine PDO threads with injectables like fillers and botox? Yes, our Provider will assess you during your consultation if same procedure can be done or can be spaced out 2 weeks apart.
Can you combine PDO threads with lasers and radiofrequency microneedling? Yes, our Provider will assess you during your consultation if same procedure can be done or can be spaced out 2 weeks apart.
Do PDO threads hurt? There is little discomfort as with any treatment. We numb the area to make it tolerable and comfortable for our patients.
How long is the procedure? It depends on the number of areas treated. Typically 30 minutes to 1 hour.
How many treatments to see results? barbed threads have immediate lifting effect. On average, patients come every 6 months for minimal touchups with results lasting to 12-18 months.
- Avoid NSAIDs for 7 days
- Avoid aspirin or vitamin E for 10 days
- Avoid alcohol consumption 3 days before treatment
- Come makeup free
- Ice the area in case of bruising
- Take arnica montana (oral) and/or apply topical arnica in area of treatment
- Over the counter histamine for patients with history of swelling
- Keep the area clean to avoid infection.
- No excessive facial expression or animation, no facial or dental work for 2 weeks
- No lasers, radiofrequency, hifu, ipl, and microneedling for 2 weeks
- No strenuous exercise for 1 week for face treatments, 2 weeks for body treatments
- Asymmetry and irregularity if tissue are common and typically resolve in 1-2 weeks
- Any acute illness and inflammation
- Patients undergoing chemotherapy
- Blood disorders
- Psychiatric disorders which include picking
- History of keloid scarring
- Immune system diseases
- Inflamed skin on or near the area of treatment
Full face and neck rejuvenation special package pricing available upon request. Book for a consultation to determine if you are the right candidate for this treatment.